Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Comes a Time - Grateful Dead Song Review

Well, if you've read my blog manifesto you already know that I am a huge Jerry Garcia fanatic and Jerry ballads are the pinnacle of the Dead experience for me. I recently reviewed China Doll, and eventually when I eventually review songs like Morning Dew and So Many Roads
it will be obvious that my favorite part of the show was the Jerry ballad slot.

That being said, Comes a Time does not really do much for me.  I feel like stating this is somewhat blasphemous.  I mean, the song is slow, soulful and deep.  This is what I look for in music.  I assure you that I'm definitely someone who has been down and out.  Songs like Mission in the Rain are songs that get me through.  I still occasionally go through low depressive periods during which I love slow sad songs.  Still, Comes a Time just doesn't really do it for me.

It is on Reflections which is probably my favorite Jerry Garcia solo album.   I will at some point review Reflections but I must take a moment here to say this album is a totally underrated gem.  I honestly think that track for track it is more consistently good than almost any Grateful Dead album.  However, Comes a Time is my least favorite song (or tied for last with Tore Up Over You).

To me the song is slow, plodding, and uninteresting.  The first line is definitely a memorable one:

Comes a time
When the blind man
Takes your hand and says 
Can't you See? 

But the rest is just kind of vague and unmemorable for me personally.  I always associate this song with To Lay Me Down for some reason.  Probably because it is also a Jerry Garcia solo song that was played with the Dead.  I actually like To Lay Me Down even less, but that's another review.

Comes a Time Song Rating on a Scale of 1-10: 7.0

Disclaimer
: This is part of my review of every Grateful Dead song from A-Z. Music is a beautiful thing because it is so personal and subjective, so keep in mind that this is one man's opinion (and be sure to read my blog manifesto to understand a little more about where I'm coming from).

No comments: