Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Don't Need Love - Grateful Dead Song Review



Don't Need Love is a cool Brent tune that is pretty underrated.  It was played a handful of times in 1984, 1985, and 1986 and always in the 2nd set.  Considering it's position in the 2nd set, I can imagine some heads finding it a disappointing choice (taking the place of something like Dear Mr. Fantasy perhaps).

Now that I think about it, I'm kind of surprised the song wasn't a 1st set tune. It brings the same kind of mellow energy that Candyman or Friend of the Devil have.

The song has a very 1980s mellow waltz feel that features Brent's synth.  It really reminds me of something that Michael McDonald or Steve Winwood would sing.  For that matter it also could fit in the Beach Boys repertoire from that era.  It also reminds me a bit of the song So Far Away (From Me) by Dire Straits.

Enough with the comparisons, the song is a solid Brent tune with a catchy beat that is really laid back.  The lyrics are clever, as he sings I don't need love and I don't need you but the implied sentiment seems to be that he really does want love and is just burned by it.  Brent takes a great solo during the tune and does a bit of showboating with the vocals. Not all versions feature a solo by Jerry.

I am sure that people who were at the shows where this song was played connected with the lyrics and it caused a little bit of introspection.

It's such a simple song but I really like it.  I wish they recorded this one on one of the LPs. 



Don't Need Love In Song Rating on a Scale of 1-10: 7.8
Disclaimer: This is part of my blog that reviews all things Grateful Dead for fun. Music is a beautiful thing because it is so personal and subjective, so keep in mind that this is one man's opinion (and be sure to read my blog manifesto to understand a little more about where I'm coming from).

No comments: