Friday, June 29, 2012

Easy to Love You - Grateful Dead Song Review

"Ooh ooh ooh.oooh ooh"

This is a nice little Brent tune that is catchy and frankly highlights how his songs never really "sat well" in the Grateful Dead repertoire (in this writer's opinion).

The song even seems to use Grateful Dead elements. There's a little jam coda (that for some reason  reminds me of Unbroken Chain) and also some weird time signatures (again Unbroken Chain). There's also some bizarre "un rock" chords courtesy of Brent.

But Brent's songs just seem kind of more like Michael McDonald songs or something - just not really Grateful Dead songs to me.  I wasn't around for Brent's time in the band so maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe if I was around to feel the surge of the energy of the crowd when Brent does his vocal showboating at the end I would appreciate it more because of the memories. I definitely do love what Brent brought to the band though - see my writeup for Dear Mr. Fantasy if you have any doubts.

At the end of the day, this song is a cheesy love song.

Easy to Love You Song Rating on a Scale of 1-10: 6.1


Disclaimer: This is part of my blog that reviews all things Grateful Dead for fun. Music is a beautiful thing because it is so personal and subjective, so keep in mind that this is one man's opinion (and be sure to read my blog manifesto to understand a little more about where I'm coming from).

No comments: