Tuesday, July 3, 2012

1993 Was So Great - Incredible Grateful Dead Era

In the last entry, I posted these two videos to represent a great performance by The Grateful Dead in 1993 and how great Jerry played on Lightning Bolt. These videos are so good they bear repeating. Spoiler alert  - I will be wanking on about these below so don't scroll down if you don't want to know the songs played before watching. Also, the soundboard on archive.org is here.

Richfield Coliseum on September 9th, 1993 Set 1


Richfield Coliseum on September 9th, 1993 Set 2



~~~Spoiler Alert All the magic is up there, below is my wanking about this show below~~~~

Wow, nice concert.  I would describe this as a magical show. Can't imagine what it would've like to be at this one, and I look forward to my next listen of the next night's show (on my next jog).

How about that Lightning Bolt?

I saw the Shoreline run before this in August where, according to this site, Jerry introduced Lightning Bolt. That was a pretty phenomenal Shoreline run (by Shoreline standards).  Jerry took to the guitar well as this show from Richfield shows.

In this Richfield show, the St of Circumstance 2nd "build up jam"(starts at about 22:30 in the 2nd set video), the extended jam in Terrapin (starts at 30:30 2nd set),  and of course the Morning Dew are just amazing and make this one for the ages.

How about that weird sound during Morning Dew (at around 1:22:00 and 1:23:40 in the 2nd set video)?  WTF is that? It's also on the soundboard for this show.

Finally, I'm always a fan of Victim for the Crime for some reason.... and I might really be revealing a bias for this period (more likely my fond memories) but I even love the I Fought The Law encore.

Thanks to StickyFingers44111 for uploading this incredible footage.


Disclaimer: This is part of my blog that reviews all things Grateful Dead for fun. Music is a beautiful thing because it is so personal and subjective, so keep in mind that this is one man's opinion (and be sure to read my blog manifesto to understand a little more about where I'm coming from).

No comments: