Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Around and Around - Grateful Dead Song Review

Around and Around

This song is a mellow rocking groove that I am almost certain was not originally a Dead song. There was a lot of excitement around the playing of this song in my memories of being a Deadhead so it had a kind of revered status in the echelon of Dead songs. I think this is possibly because it was played regularly during the mid 70's publicly acknowledged "golden years" of the Dead (not by me, read the manifesto) and then more sporadically later. I remember when we got to Vegas 1995 on Saturday night (we could only make the last show) everyone was raving about the Dead playing The Race is On and Around and Around that no one even told me we missed Morning Dew (I found out much later).

I personally find it to be a rather predictable shuffling blues song that affords little in the way of surprises.

Around and Around Song Rating on a Scale of 1-10: 6.0

Disclaimer: This is part of my review of every Grateful Dead song from A-Z. Music is a beautiful thing because it is so personal and subjective, so keep in mind that this is one man's opinion (and be sure to read my blog manifesto to understand a little more about where I'm coming from).

No comments: