Friday, June 5, 2009

Dark Hollow - Grateful Dead Song Review

This song is a catchy little bluesy acoustic tune that Bob Weir would sing. There is a nice harmony where Jerry would join in on the chorus.

Thinking of this song, I am reminded of Reckoning - that's probably the version that I'm most familiar with.

Dark Hollow has a classic and timeless feel to it. I am reminded of other songs like Been All Around this World, and Oh Babe, It Ain't No Lie that were classic standards that the Dead integrated into their sound. The Grateful Dead didn't really make Dark Hollow their own by any means - they did a pretty traditional arrangement and didn't stretch out the song with any jamming. Still, it is a nice little "train" song that harkens back to a time before airplanes.

Being sandwiched between It Must Have Been the Roses and China Doll on Reckoning underscores the fact that there are many other songs I'd rather listen to the Grateful Dead perform (and most have Jerry singing).

Dark Hollow
Song Rating on a Scale of 1-10: 5.4

Disclaimer: This is part of my review of every Grateful Dead song from A-Z. Music is a beautiful thing because it is so personal and subjective, so keep in mind that this is one man's opinion (and be sure to read my blog manifesto to understand a little more about where I'm coming from).

1 comment:

jimbo said...

Ever heard of the pizza tape?