Sunday, July 8, 2012

Easy Wind - Grateful Dead Song Review


Gotta find a woman be good to me,
won't hide my liquor try to serve me tea


Easy Wind is a hard rocking song that showcased the tough rock and roll side of the Grateful Dead - namely Pigpen.

This is a great track from Workingman's Dead and really epitomizes the album's title.  This bluesy rocker has great singing by Pigpen who creates the imposing impression of an out of control day laborer who's living life on the edge.  This actually reminds me of a lot of Deadheads I can think of  - although not all are still around today.

According to Dead.net this song has credited words and lyrics to Rober Hunter. I had no idea bout that and I'm surprised to hear it, although the character definitely fits in with Robert Hunter's other interesting slices of Americana.
Easy Wind was played frequently in 1969 and 1970. There are some videos that show the band playing the song live on youtube like this one.

Every Deadhead knows Easy Wind but it's not a tune I hear people bring up that much or try to play on guitar.

A great song on an even greater album.

EasyWInd Song Rating on a Scale of 1-10: 8.9

Disclaimer: This is part of my blog that reviews all things Grateful Dead for fun. Music is a beautiful thing because it is so personal and subjective, so keep in mind that this is one man's opinion.

No comments: