Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Gloria - Grateful Dead Song Review

In the song review before this one ("Gimme Some Lovin'"), I said that song was part of the GD's habit of mixing in fun "party rock" songs into their set to make sure they put on a remarkable "rock n roll" show (and probably had a lot of fun themselves).  Gloria falls into this category as well.

It's a great rock song written by Van Morrison, universally known and enjoyed.  If you were at a Grateful Dead show when they busted out this tune, you know you were having a good time.  I would also add that if it was your first time seeing The Dead and you didn't really know the canon of songs that they played throughout the concert, you would definitely be "on the bus" when they played Gloria (I said the same thing about Gimme Some Lovin').

I admit that when I watch the videos on youtube of the band playing Gloria, it sounds a bit loose and messy. I have no doubt that the song took whatever show to another level though just by it's sheer accessibility.

(...really wish that Jerry would have sung this one though)

Gloria Song Rating on a Scale of 1-10: 8.4

Disclaimer: This is part of my blog that reviews all things Grateful Dead for fun. Music is a beautiful thing because it is so personal and subjective, so keep in mind that this is one man's opinion.

1 comment:

Ouish said...

It's the last song I heard them play. Encore at Three Rivers in 95. The only time I ever heard it live. *sigh*