Thursday, February 28, 2013

Hurts Me Too - Grateful Dead Song Review

This is a slow blues song that I associate with Europe '72 (my primary exposure to it).

When I was a young whippersnapper first discovering great albums like Europe '72, this kind of slow blues song was definitely "not my bag." But, as I get older, I think I can appreciate more the soulful vibe that Pigpen brought to songs like this.

When I hear Hurts Me Too, I am reminded that Jerry Garcia was an amazing blues guitar player who got a great slide guitar sound out of that strat (with the Alligator on it).

Hurts Me Too was written by Elmore James and his version is great (I just listened to it here on youtube.com).

Hurts Me Too was only played between 1967 and 1972.  There is a nice version of it below from the Europe '72 tour.  It was recorded at Tivoli Concert Hall in Copenhagen Denmark (thanks to Park Lots for posting).  If you've read any accounts of this tour, you can imagine that the Dead were probably very happy to slow down and do a bluesy slow song like this - they were in the middle of a wild tour!

Hurts Me Too Song Rating on a Scale of 1-10: 6.5

Disclaimer: This is part of my blog that reviews all things Grateful Dead for fun. Music is a beautiful thing because it is so personal and subjective, so keep in mind that this is one man's opinion.

Note: comments are encouraged and appreciated but it takes a while for them to show up in the blog entry (due to a Disqus plugin issue). Enter them below.

No comments: