Thursday, April 25, 2013

Who Was John - Jerry Garcia Band

I've heard more than one person say they enjoyed JGB shows more than Dead shows.  Songs like this support this line of thinking.  Even Donna sounds good:




I'm going to digress unnecessarily here and hypothesize that the era that I saw the dead (mid 1990s) was probably the time that you could best make the argument that JGB was a better show.  FIrst of all, JGB was sick at this time. Secondly, the Grateful Dead started struggling in the mid 1990s, especially in 1994 and 1995.

I think Jerry seemed very happy playing in JGB.  Bill Kreutzmann has controversially stated that Jerry did not enjoy playing with The Grateful Dead during the bands' swan song.

 (thanks Jimmi B for posting this on Youtube)

2 comments:

Dave Richards said...

Great post. Feel blessed to have seen JGB in '90's, definitely better than the Dead shows of the same time.

GDmike said...

The four JGB shows I saw really stand out as special memories, can't believe I really saw him play songs like "Mission in the Rain," and "Cats Under the Stars," seems too good to be true.