Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Just a Little Light - Grateful Dead Song Review

It's kind of uncomfortable for me to review Brent Mydland because I love him as keyboardist for The Grateful Dead but never actually saw him live with GD. As a result I don't have any powerful memories associated with dancing to his originals at shows and maybe that's why I am not huge into his original songs.

But Just a Little Light is a pretty cool tune, one of my favorite of Brent's originals.  It has a tense brooding feel and is built upon a minor key.  Jerry plays his dynamic filter sound which really makes this Mydland tune "seem like a Grateful Dead song" (some of his other songs just don't fit in with The Dead's music and it seems like they are playing backing band for a guest singer).

Just a Little Light is the 2nd track on Built to Last  - the Grateful Dead's final studio album. The song was played 20 odd times only in 1989 and 1990.  It was primarily in the middle to late 1st set. Below is a version which I think is a fine rendition of the song. This is their 5th time playing it from July of 1989.  Just about 24 years ago this month. Wow.

Thanks Taste4phree for the upload.


Just a Little Light Song Rating on a Scale of 1-10:  6.8

Disclaimer: This is part of my blog that reviews all things Grateful Dead for fun. Music is a beautiful thing because it is so personal and subjective, so keep in mind that this is one man's opinion(read my blog manifesto to understand my Grateful Dead background a little more).


 

1 comment:

Spiral_Gypsy said...

I always liked this song. I ad some strange personal experiences that made me instantly connect with this song. I was fortunate to see the dead three times in the late 80's. I was really bummed out when Brent died. I had a friend of mine turn me on to Blue for Allah the same summer that Built to Last came out. Prior to that I never saw what all the fuss was about with the Grateful Dead. I had a copy of Skeletons from the Closet but never really connected with it. Blue for Allah, Built to Last, Steal your Face, and a few shows started my journey into the Dead. I wanted to see them again in the mid-90's but was broke and working my way through college. I had a strange experience at the college radio station. I did a psychedelic radio show once a week and the regular DJ for the Grateful Dead show asked me to sit in for him one night. It turned out to be the week Jerry died. I did my best to do a fitting tribute. Also, they played their last concert on my birthday. I love the live archives and consider myself a true fan. I don't have 100 shows under my belt - but so what. I still enjoy the music.