Saturday, January 10, 2009

Been All Around this World - Grateful Dead Song Review

Been Around this World

Sing it with me: "Upon the Blue Ridge Mountains, there I'll take my stand..." This is another nice mellow old-timey American folk song (that is kind of indistinguishable from (Oh Babe It) Ain't no Lie in my opinion).

This song is probably known often as I've Been All Around this World. Again (just like Ain't no Lie) there is a great version at the Jerry/John Kahn Oregon State Prison show from May 5th, 1982. Man, I can just imagine that scene unfolding - does anyone have pictures of this show? I would love to see Jerry and John playing in front of a bunch of inmates.

This song was also on the acoustic album Reckoning as well. It is a great fingerpicking song that Jerry sings with a lot of character.

Been All Around this World Song Rating on a Scale of 1-10: 7.8

Disclaimer: This is part of my review of every Grateful Dead song from A-Z. Music is a beautiful thing because it is so personal and subjective, so keep in mind that this is one man's opinion (and be sure to read my blog manifesto to understand a little more about where I'm coming from).

No comments: