Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Black Throated Wind - Grateful Dead Song Review

Black Throated Wind is a cool Bob Weir tune from his album called Ace. This is a great road song that starts out about a guy who is hitchhiking and the stars look like "stones from a slingshot on mars." No one will pick this guy up and then he waxes on about a love gone wrong.

To me, the song has always been evocative of a "70's midwestern truck stop lifestyle of denim, long hair, and boots." It's not a country song per se, but it's got a hint of country sensibility and certainly reminds me of middle america. It is a great road song. I was fortunate enough to hear Black Throated Wind at the Oakland Coliseum on 2/26/1994. I was really excited because it is another one of those Grateful Dead "rare gems" that definitely wasn't overplayed.

Black Throated Wind
Rating on a Scale of 1-10: 8.8

Disclaimer: This is part of my review of every Grateful Dead song from A-Z. Music is a beautiful thing because it is so personal and subjective, so keep in mind that this is one man's opinion (and be sure to read my blog manifesto to understand a little more about where I'm coming from).

No comments: